Friday, January 29, 2010

The home stretch

Most of the story of yesterday morning is best left untold, but suffice it to say that I had a couple of weird bellyrumbles in the wee hours and when I woke up for good it was because I had to race to the bathroom. In fact, there were points where I was brushing my teeth mere inches from the toilet and I wasn't sure if I would make it. I can't see how it could have been food poisoning -- that usually shows up in fairly short order after eating the bad food -- so I have to assume it was all the hot angry vegetables. It's cool, though, because it was that magical combination of being sick enough to legitimately stay home (for at least four hours it was a bad idea for me to be further than ten feet from a toilet) but not feeling bad at all, otherwise. I made another tomato-and-feta omelette once I was okay with eating again, and finished up some home projects.

And today is the last full day of meatlessness, which I admit is a relief even though this really hasn't been as difficult as I anticipated it would be. Last night, I made honey-garlic-soy glazed porkchops with steamed vegetables and rice and as I was cutting up the pork for Hannah, my knees got weak. WANT IT IN MY MOUTH. I don't know why I tortured myself with that particular recipe, but that was the closest I've come thus far to sneaking a bite. I really do think, though, that keeping this up for the first two-thirds of the day would be doable, if not necessarily easy.

One thing I didn't think of when planning this whole ending-in-beer-and-bacon week is, I can't taste anything I'm making tomorrow until after I've made it. I guess AJ and Peter are going to be on tasting spoon duty a lot tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment