Monday, March 8, 2010

Week Ten: 9 and 3 o'clock

A couple of updates: as of this day, I have not found the strawberry ice cream. Neither, presumably, did my mother, who looked after the animals while we were out of town. And the gym's #2 television's closed captioning is no longer stuck on "take off your shirt", but now is stuck on "increasing in areas of". It's a nice change.

And on the Perfect Hygiene week, which officially concluded last night, I have this so say: fuck it. Fuck it fuck it fuck it. Listen, keeping lip gloss on is just not worth it. It takes too much of my mental resources. And my hair is just hair. It's JUST HAIR. It's not, nor will it ever be, a crowning glory, without either significant chemical intervention or a minimum fifteen minutes of attention every day and touch ups in between. Throughout the week I also failed to accessorize, which, let's face it, is necessary in the whole looking-pulled-together thing. I do like my nails being done, and I appreciate the difference it makes when I expend three minutes ironing rumply clothes, though. But some of the stuff, it's just too much to keep on top of. Except flossing. I am proud of the twice-daily flossing I accomplished.

I have to think there are some people for whom it requires a lot of work to look polished all the time, and some people for whom it is second nature. And this certainly isn't a knock on women who do make sure they look nice going to the grocery store -- it's just beyond me. It's not on my radar, and I have a hell of a time putting it ON my radar. I like to look nice, and I do put in the effort for work and date night and whatnot, but I guess I have a "this and no further" limit in my head of how much is reasonable. It occurs to me now, though, that maybe I should do a makeupless week and see how that goes. Some days I feel like I look okay without makeup or with minimal makeup; some days I think I'm a hosebeast without the warpaint. Hm. I will give that some thought.

For now, though, I begin Week Ten: Obey All Traffic Rules. This was something I had on my list before, but it was pushed to the top of the list by AJ, who today is receiving learner's permit. About a week ago, after watching some films on the subject in Driver's Ed, AJ basically lit into Peter and me for using cell phones while driving. And he's right, he's right. (I really do try to avoid it, but not nearly as much as I should.) I promised him that I would not do it at all anymore -- no excuses, no "but I...", nothing, I won't do it. Luckily for me, I'm a moron who doesn't have her shit together and so lost her phone while traveling this past weekend, which makes avoiding the temptation much, much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment