Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A revelation

Listen up, because I'm about to tell you some shit that will blow. your. mind: going to bed earlier makes it easier to wake up in the morning.

I'll allow you a moment to change the pants you've surely just soiled.

Last night, true to my word, I performed my evening ablutions and packed it in at 11 pm almost on the dot. I was asleep not long thereafter. And while I woke up at 6:45 this morning because the dog was snuffling in my face, I was able to get out of bed, do a little puttering around, and even get in some yoga without any trouble at all.

So now, at 34 and change, I realize that what I tell my children all the time -- that just going to bed earlier would make them feel so much better in the morning -- is actually true. It's enough to make me want to re-examine the whole "wind is trees sneezing" theory. Unfortunately it doesn't get the first floor cleaned up (although Peter did do some nice work in the kitchen last night, which was a pleasant surprise this morning) or the laundry put away, but it's driving home the notion that I really, actually, truly do require 7 1/2 - 8 hours of sleep a night, and there's no getting around it. So maybe it's not laziness that made it so difficult to wake up early without going to bed early. And maybe it's time to accept that and plan around it instead of fighting it so damn hard. You know...like I tell my kids.

1 comment:

  1. I love sleep. And I'm sure that getting 8 hours of it is the only way I can con my body into getting up at 5am every day.

    ReplyDelete