Monday, February 8, 2010

Good news/bad news

The good news is, I filed today's mail just now. Here it is at left. Took all of five seconds, as all there was to file was a single 401k statement, plus a bill.






The bad news is, there is still all of this to contend with. Saturday's mail:










Last week's mail:









Some shit that is...I don't even know what it is, but I bet each paper will require its own folder in my file cabinet:
 








Speaking of the file cabinet, it's stuffed as full of paper as I am currently full of Coke, hubris, and banana bread, and that, my friends, is FULL. This presents another roadblock -- I can clean it out, and then I have a box full of shit that needs to be shredded. Yeehaw.

Nevermind all that, though. I will soldier on. My current plan is to reinstate the inbox, but for bills only. Once Peter pays the bills, then he is responsible for tossing or filing it, because I will certainly not accept responsibility for all the paperwork in this household. I figure this will be a fair distribution of work, since I will be doing the filing of other documents. And, I now declare an overflowing inbox to be a naggable offense. Peter will also be responsible for filing receipts that he wants to keep, because honestly, I have no idea whether that fan belt he just bought is something he might want to return.

Wednesday or Thursday, I will also banish the "miscellaneous" folder, which is by far the fullest folder in the filing cabinet and holds everything from our house deed to this Fox Trot cartoon that Peter really enjoyed and wanted to keep for some reason. No more! I'll ruthlessly bust this folder up into its component parts. Which means I will need a fresh box of manila folders. But that's all I'll buy at Office Max, I swear. No cute black and white organizational containers until I've proven that this system will work for us, no matter how nice they'll look on the shelves. Maybe they'll be my reward at the end of the week.

2 comments:

  1. It involved Sudoku and math, so really, it had to happen. Why it was worth holding on to for years, though...

    ReplyDelete